What’s on the syllabus?
- Recognise a variety of commonly used shoes, and know what they are used for.
- Recognise the farrier’s tools and know their uses.
- Describe how a shoe is fitted and removed.
- Compare hot shoeing with cold shoeing.
- Recognise which leg a horse is lame on.
- Apply poultices, hose legs and tub feet, and know when and why these are done.
Video: Trot up of a horse
This video shows how to trot up as well as demonstrating how slow motion video can really help highlight movement.
Take a slow motion video of your horse walking and trotting. Observe it’s natural footfall and movement.
- When might you use different types of shoes?
- How to be farrier-friendly!
- Recognising lameness.
- When would you call a vet for a lame horse?
4. Join in the Zoom call
If you missed the zoom training session you can watch it here.